Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most effective fat burning cardio workouts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nacho View Post
    Everyone has given good answers but based on what you're trying to do Radiohead I would suggest the following. These instructions are followed by the science behind the steps.

Be in a fasted state. (This ensures there is no insulin in your system. With insulin in your system you cannot effectively burn that belly fat for fuel.)

Pop a caffeine pill. (this gets your system fired up a bit more than without - helping to burn a little more fat)

Do 5-10 minutes of HIIT depending on your level of conditioning. (This will cause the stubborn fat on your belly to loosen up and be released into your system)

Rest for a couple minutes (This allows your body to adjust using glycogen stores in the HIIT to fat stores)

Now do 45-60 minutes of low intensity cardio (The fat cells that were released into your system during the HIIT will now be burned up as fuel)

Do this twice a week and if your diet is in order that small pooch on your stomach will soon be gone. As I'm sure you know the diet portion is the critical issue. Those belly fat cells are going to be eager to refill themselves.
    Ok man first off fasting yourself is the worst idea you can do, you can put yourself threw starvation if your not carful, ALWAYS have a balanced diet, even if you just trying to burn a little bit of fat. why the fuck would you staop eating to get rid of fat, that shit is ridiculous.
    Sorry nacho but thats some bad advice there
    Caffene pills are shit to, you dont need that at all, just do what you can an your body will benifit from that.Caffine is just an appitite supresore
    HITT training is great, if done properly it will give you great benifits.
    You only have a little bit of fat right? 40 min of cardio and strength training is all you need.
    Nov 22 2011 BPEL- 7.25'' Girth 5.1''

Comment

Maybe he means cardio right when you wake up or something?

Comment

Originally posted by HJFboxer View Post
        Ok man first off fasting yourself is the worst idea you can do, you can put yourself threw starvation if your not carful, ALWAYS have a balanced diet, even if you just trying to burn a little bit of fat. why the fuck would you staop eating to get rid of fat, that shit is ridiculous.
        Sorry nacho but thats some bad advice there
        Caffene pills are shit to, you dont need that at all, just do what you can an your body will benifit from that.Caffine is just an appitite supresore
        HITT training is great, if done properly it will give you great benifits.
        You only have a little bit of fat right? 40 min of cardio and strength training is all you need.
        Please read my post again. Then read it again, maybe 3 times will help. You completely misunderstood what I said.

1) When you wake up in the morning you are in a fasted state. You have fasted over night. If you don't eat anything for 4-5 hours you are definately in a fasted state. I am NOT suggesting he fast. I am, however, a big fan of intermittant fasting but that is not what I'm talking about. Please, if you do not understand what being in a fasted state means then google it for further understanding.

2) I said he had to have his diet in order. Please read my posts before you say something stupid and then attribute it to me.

3) You don't need caffeine pills. They just help. You don't take caffeine to suppress appetite, you take it to assist with fat mobilization.

4) You can do all the strength training you want. You can do all the HIIT you want. This will NOT cause you to have a six pack unless you are genetically blessed. A six pack comes from having hypertrophied abs and a low body fat%. For most men this means 11% or less. Not easy to obtain, harder to maintain.
        05/10/09
        ELBP 7.10
        EG 5.5

12/12/09
        ELBP 7.75
        EG 5.75

Comment

Originally posted by O.G. View Post
          HIIT...interval training is your friend.

Here's the catch. I believe I've read you'd like to put on muscle mass. Long exercise, as in low intensity long time span (distance runs, 1mile, 3 mile runs etc) release the thyroid hormone T3 and cortisol. T3 and cortisol eat away at muscle and fat. Doing interval training, like short, exhausting sprints or the likes will release T2 hormones which burns mostly fat and preserves muscle more.

So it comes down to this:

Long timed moderate intensity cardio which is generally distance running where you are pushing yourself. This releases T3, and a little T2, as well as cortisol, small amounts of growth hormone and TSH.

Short, high intensity cardio is going to release lots more T2, a tiny amount of T3, more levels of growth hormone and TSH. This is usually sprints, high speed ladders, suicides, heavy big tire flipping, sledge hammer training, farmer's walks at about 75%, etc.

Long timed, low intensity which comes down to speedwalking leisurely swimming and the likes releases little hormones at all.

I hope this answers all your questions.
          Please link me to where you are getting your information. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Allow me to elaborate.

1) Cortisol is produced when you stress your body. HIIT is going to produce way more cortisol than low intensity cardio given you do the exercise for the same amount of time. Since you do steady state cardio for longer than HIIT at some point you are going to be over producing cortisol. However, I suggest 45-60 minutes. In no way is that going to be overly catabolic in anyone who is remotely fit.

2) Hormones do not burn fat. Fat is stored energy. Your body uses stored energy when it needs to. You can do HIIT every day and become the fatest fucking slob on the planet if you eat pizza and a six pack for dinner every night. Fat loss or gain is not a function of T2, T3, cortisol, or any other hormone. Granted there are hormones like leptin that play a huge role in appetite but at the end of the day it is a simple energy equation. (Well relatively simple)

3) It seems you are suggesting he can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. If I am wrong than please forgive my misunderstanding. If you are suggesting this is possible then please google this topic. You cannot lose fat and build muscle at the same time unless you are an overweight novice new to lifting. From what Radiohead is saying he is not new to lifting.
          05/10/09
          ELBP 7.10
          EG 5.5

12/12/09
          ELBP 7.75
          EG 5.75

Comment

My Workout Regime

First step is basically watching what I eat. Of course fatty foods must be limited. The carbohydrates I take are minimal. You have to make sure that the food you eat doesn't have much carbohydrates.

But most the secret to my fat burning regime, I jog twice a week for about 2-3hours. I believe jogging is an effective way to burn fat, plus you don't have to spend anything. I'd rather jog than use a treadmill. I feel its more effective (psychological I guess). And I saw the results in less than a month.

Just include jogging in your weekly schedule, and you are sure to burn some amount of fat.
            annamilton
            Last edited by annamilton; 03-25-2010, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Your trainer is a fucking idiot and If you're paying for his services fire his ass and if he asks why tell him its because he doesn't know the first goddamn thing about human physiology.Muscle loss happens more as a function of diet and non use. The opposite of what your dimwit dude is saying is actually true ... that is .... if you're dieting (cutting) HIIT is going to cause muscle loss bwfore low intensity steady state cardio. (In either case it isn't likely) If you aren't dieting and you're using your muscles you won't lose them.
              So then I should low-intensity cardio for the best fat-burning workout?
              How many days a week should I do this?
              I take training which includes functional training, strength, core stability and circuit, 3 days a week. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. My trainer tells me to take Wed and Sun off, he thinks too much of cardio will kill my muscles also. What do you think?
              Check out my progress log: https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...-remake-4.html
              Starting BPEL - 6.00 After 3 weeks BPEL - 6.75

Comment

Originally posted by annamilton View Post
                First step is basically watching what I eat. Of course fatty foods must be limited. The carbohydrates I take are minimal. You have to make sure that the food you eat doesn't have much carbohydrates.

But most the secret to my fat burning regime, I jog twice a week for about 2-3hours. I believe jogging is an effective way to burn fat, plus you don't have to spend anything. I'd rather jog than use a treadmill. I feel its more effective (psychological I guess). And I saw the results in less than a month.

Just include jogging in your weekly schedule, and you are sure to burn some amount of fat.
                You can eat a high carb diet. Calories matter.

Jogging is low intensity cardio.
                05/10/09
                ELBP 7.10
                EG 5.5

12/12/09
                ELBP 7.75
                EG 5.75

Comment

Originally posted by scythe View Post
                  So then I should low-intensity cardio for the best fat-burning workout?
                  How many days a week should I do this?
                  I take training which includes functional training, strength, core stability and circuit, 3 days a week. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. My trainer tells me to take Wed and Sun off, he thinks too much of cardio will kill my muscles also. What do you think?
                  First I think you should fire your trainer and find someone who knows his stuff.

Second, low intensity cardio can be done EVERY DAY. It will have little to no impact on anything. Depending on your goals, it may or may not be a good idea to do it every day.

What are you trying to accomplish overall? Gain muscle? Lose fat? How long have you been training?
                  05/10/09
                  ELBP 7.10
                  EG 5.5

12/12/09
                  ELBP 7.75
                  EG 5.75

Comment

Please read my post again. Then read it again, maybe 3 times will help. You completely misunderstood what I said.

1) When you wake up in the morning you are in a fasted state. You have fasted over night. If you don't eat anything for 4-5 hours you are definately in a fasted state. I am NOT suggesting he fast. I am, however, a big fan of intermittant fasting but that is not what I'm talking about. Please, if you do not understand what being in a fasted state means then google it for further understanding.

2) I said he had to have his diet in order. Please read my posts before you say something stupid and then attribute it to me.

3) You don't need caffeine pills. They just help. You don't take caffeine to suppress appetite, you take it to assist with fat mobilization.

4) You can do all the strength training you want. You can do all the HIIT you want. This will NOT cause you to have a six pack unless you are genetically blessed. A six pack comes from having hypertrophied abs and a low body fat%. For most men this means 11% or less. Not easy to obtain, harder to maintain.
                    1) i understand what fasting means, you should have bein more clear on morning exercise, i apologize for the misunderstanding but be more clear.

2) i did not read were you said to have his diet in order and either way thats common sence, almost everyone nows you need a proper diet it loose sufficiant wwieght. Plus i didnt even say anything about what you said about dieting in my post in the first palce i just said you need a balanced diet, i wasnt knocking anything you said about diet at all

3)Yes you can take caffine pills if you want but i would not recommend them, they have alot of side effects depending on your body, some may not have any side effects but some may, and i no from experience that there shitty, just gives me the jitters and did nothing for my workout, if you wake up and exercise that will be enough for your matabolizom to rev up anyway, caffine is not needed.

4)Abs are to an extent based on genetics as any other muscle is, but anyone can get a six pack you just need to build your abs and lower body fat, strength training and HIIT will do this for you, you do not need to be "geneticaly blessed",you just need to work for them just like anything els you want in this world.

Again I apologize for misunderstanding but your post was not exactly the clearest discription (at least for me).

Comment

Originally posted by boxer View Post
                      1) i understand what fasting means, you should have bein more clear on morning exercise, i apologize for the misunderstanding but be more clear.

2) i did not read were you said to have his diet in order and either way thats common sence, almost everyone nows you need a proper diet it loose sufficiant wwieght. Plus i didnt even say anything about what you said about dieting in my post in the first palce i just said you need a balanced diet, i wasnt knocking anything you said about diet at all

3)Yes you can take caffine pills if you want but i would not recommend them, they have alot of side effects depending on your body, some may not have any side effects but some may, and i no from experience that there shitty, just gives me the jitters and did nothing for my workout, if you wake up and exercise that will be enough for your matabolizom to rev up anyway, caffine is not needed.

4)Abs are to an extent based on genetics as any other muscle is, but anyone can get a six pack you just need to build your abs and lower body fat, strength training and HIIT will do this for you, you do not need to be "geneticaly blessed",you just need to work for them just like anything els you want in this world.

Again I apologize for misunderstanding but your post was not exactly the clearest discription (at least for me).
                      It seems to me we agree more than we disagree. How about this? I will try to be more clear and you will actually read my posts before you respond.

As for diet being common sense believe me you are wrong. Just head over to BB.com or T-nation and you will see all kinds of "Bros" who do not understand the critical role your diet plays.
                      05/10/09
                      ELBP 7.10
                      EG 5.5

12/12/09
                      ELBP 7.75
                      EG 5.75

Comment

It seems to me we agree more than we disagree. How about this? I will try to be more clear and you will actually read my posts before you respond.

As for diet being common sense believe me you are wrong. Just head over to BB.com or T-nation and you will see all kinds of "Bros" who do not understand the critical role your diet plays.
                        agreed
                        Ive bein to BB.com a few times just to get some advice on certine things but ive never really looked into anyones diet since i aready no how to eat.If you think about it,it is common sence for most people, weather you choos to use your sense is another thing, like if someone goes out to get drunk,they no that if you drink to much your gonna screw yourself over, yet everyday people go and drink to the point of passing out, thats just an example of how people dont use there senses but they still no the consequenses of not using it.If your diet consits of food high on fat and sugar and shit and your wondering why you cant loose your gut then you must be a fool with no sense, and there are lots of people like that out there but most people no that what you eat is extreamly important in your overal fitness level, so in my oppinion i would say that it is common sense, but you may think differently about it.

Comment

Please link me to where you are getting your information. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Allow me to elaborate.

1) Cortisol is produced when you stress your body. HIIT is going to produce way more cortisol than low intensity cardio given you do the exercise for the same amount of time. Since you do steady state cardio for longer than HIIT at some point you are going to be over producing cortisol. However, I suggest 45-60 minutes. In no way is that going to be overly catabolic in anyone who is remotely fit.

2) Hormones do not burn fat. Fat is stored energy. Your body uses stored energy when it needs to. You can do HIIT every day and become the fatest fucking slob on the planet if you eat pizza and a six pack for dinner every night. Fat loss or gain is not a function of T2, T3, cortisol, or any other hormone. Granted there are hormones like leptin that play a huge role in appetite but at the end of the day it is a simple energy equation. (Well relatively simple)

3) It seems you are suggesting he can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. If I am wrong than please forgive my misunderstanding. If you are suggesting this is possible then please google this topic. You cannot lose fat and build muscle at the same time unless you are an overweight novice new to lifting. From what Radiohead is saying he is not new to lifting.
                          Just research it yourself, it's all over the place.

Comment

I have concluded that HIIT is the most effective cardio workout!!!!
                            Starting stats: October 15th, 2008 - NBPEL: 6.25' EG: 5.00'

Current stats October 15th, 2009 - (100% erection) NBPEL: 7.20' EG: 5.375'

Goal: NBPEL: 8' EG: 6' (objective: girth)

TGC Theory

A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. -Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by O.G. View Post
                              Just research it yourself, it's all over the place.
                              I was just trying to be civil. I don't need to look into something that I already know is complete crap.
                              The only part of your original post that has any merit is that too much cardio can inhibit muscle gain.
                              05/10/09
                              ELBP 7.10
                              EG 5.5

12/12/09
                              ELBP 7.75
                              EG 5.75

Comment

I was just trying to be civil. I don't need to look into something that I already know is complete crap.
                                The only part of your original post that has any merit is that too much cardio can inhibit muscle gain.
                                http://needtobuildmuscle.net/forum/n...mones-faq.html

Tell me what you get out of that, maybe I've been mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                                X