Weight Gain Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batwoman View Post
    I'm not sure what sort of weight lifting he does. I think I need to find out if it is high reps or high weights. Any specific questions I should ask him?
    For mass and weight gain, stick to compound movements. Free weights, high weights to failure. Sets of 6-8 reps. Split body into 4 days, rest 1-2 days a week, repeat, eat, grow like weed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gator View Post
      30 miles a week is just going to be very detrimental to gaining ANY mass, whether it's a small or large amount.

I couldn't gain any mass running 10 miles a week like I used to do. I would encourage him to eat more good food with high caloric intakes. Keep drinking the milk, eat meats, plenty of fruits and vegetables, and get a protein/weight gainer supplement - like the one I listed. Do you know what kind of lifting he does? Is he lifting heavy weights or more of a toning program?
      I asked and he says he's doing high reps and not heavy weights. He lifts 3-4 days a week after running. The way he and his teammates do it, it sounds they are doing circuit training, going through repeats of the same exercises 3 times before quitting. He's also doing core work (core bridges, etc.). I believe that the goals are two: to get stronger, and to keep balanced. Runners sometimes get too strong in some muscle groups (like their quads) and can get hurt if they don't build up the opposing muscles (like hamstrings), or so I have been told). Anyway, lately I have been encouraging him to eat more, and more often -- whenever he's hungry. He has a good balanced diet at home so I am not worried about a bit of junk food around the edges.

Comment

Yes, working out the attaching muscles is always a good thing. I always use this example, but working out your biceps without doing triceps. I really should say quads and hamstrings. My good friend (our running back and fastest sprinter in track) had the issue of having very strong quads and weaker hammies. Yeah, he pulled them a few times.
        Starting Size (09/2009): ~7"BPEL x ~5" MSEG
        Most Recent Measurement (08/13/2012): 8"BPEL x 5.5"MSEG
        Final Goal: When I'm told to stop.
        http://www.towelaroundtheworld.com/#/us

Comment

OKay, but... high reps and low weight isn't going to do much for size OR strength. It's good for toning and conditioning. In fact, he is probably much more likely to LOSE weight while lifting like that, especially if he isn't taking in a large surplus of calories.

As an update - the Serious Mass that I purchased is pretty tasty when mixed with a banana and milk. I've added 2000 calories per day by drinking 2 rather small shakes of this stuff. They don't kill my appetite either. It just feels like I drank a milk shake.

Comment

Wannabebig: serious about muscle - bodybuilding and fitness articles and forums.
            Steroidology.com

Both are great resources if you read through the articles on how to eat, train and rest to gain (quality) size.
            Start: 9/12/2010
            NBPEL - 6.85"
            BPEL - 7.5"
            MSEG - 5"

28/1/2011
            NBPEL - 6.85"
            BPEL - 7.5"
            MSEG - 5.25!! (been working girth only!)

Comment

OKay, but... high reps and low weight isn't going to do much for size OR strength. It's good for toning and conditioning. In fact, he is probably much more likely to LOSE weight while lifting like that, especially if he isn't taking in a large surplus of calories.

As an update - the Serious Mass that I purchased is pretty tasty when mixed with a banana and milk. I've added 2000 calories per day by drinking 2 rather small shakes of this stuff. They don't kill my appetite either. It just feels like I drank a milk shake.
              Hi Gator,
              When I was 15, I'm 31 now, I wanted to gain weight and get to a solid 200 lbs. I was about 5'10'' at the time, just slightly shorter than I am now. I weighed 160.

I was able to get to 200 by keeping my calories high. I was eating 6 times a day....3 solid meals and 3 snacks. Back then, I was taking Joe Weider's Mega Mass 2000 everyday.
              It tasted so good, I couldn't wait to drink it...even though I was having it 2-3 times per day.

That's the key, to find something high in protein and calories that you want to drink and can keep it up over a few months. That Mega Mass was just delicious, and really helped pack on the pounds.

I do have some good news for you, though. Most teenagers that are "underweight", turn out to be the best looking adults. I'm not kidding, either. The big guys tend to get even fatter. The muscular one usually get the pot belly. And the smaller ones just tend to "fill out" over time. I know, I was one of them. Not to brag on myself, but I was smaller and now look pretty damn good, especially compared to some of my classmates. Slender often looks pretty fuckin' good in just few years. Keep that in mind...

Comment

Batwoman your son is doing weights designed to help his running, not for weight gain.
                As stated previously the 2 are not necessarily compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                  Batwoman your son is doing weights designed to help his running, not for weight gain.
                  As stated previously the 2 are not necessarily compatible.
                  Yes, I had been coming round to that conclusion myself. It's not a problem (he's only 16 and running is his top priority). I think what I've learned from this discussion is that the main thing I need to do for him now is feed him enough!

Comment

Originally posted by burt View Post
                    I do have some good news for you, though. Most teenagers that are "underweight", turn out to be the best looking adults. I'm not kidding, either. The big guys tend to get even fatter. The muscular one usually get the pot belly. And the smaller ones just tend to "fill out" over time. I know, I was one of them. Not to brag on myself, but I was smaller and now look pretty damn good, especially compared to some of my classmates. Slender often looks pretty fuckin' good in just few years. Keep that in mind...
                    This is SO TRUE! Guys, if you are under 25 and trying to gain weight, be careful. Bulking up too much when you are young can very well lead you to being fat in middle age. If you think that isn't a problem, check out all the threads here from older guys who are trying to lose weight!

Comment

Originally posted by Batwoman View Post
                      This is SO TRUE! Guys, if you are under 25 and trying to gain weight, be careful. Bulking up too much when you are young can very well lead you to being fat in middle age. If you think that isn't a problem, check out all the threads here from older guys who are trying to lose weight!
                      I agree It's actually easier for me to put on mass now in my mid-30s than it was in my teens. The downside is that it's also easier to gain unwanted fat as well.
                      Want a FREE Month of Coaching? PM or email me for details- or CLICK HERE

The MeCoach Male Enhancement Coaching Service- For All of Your Male Enhancement Needs

Comment

Originally posted by burt View Post
                        Hi Gator,
                        When I was 15, I'm 31 now, I wanted to gain weight and get to a solid 200 lbs. I was about 5'10'' at the time, just slightly shorter than I am now. I weighed 160.

I was able to get to 200 by keeping my calories high. I was eating 6 times a day....3 solid meals and 3 snacks. Back then, I was taking Joe Weider's Mega Mass 2000 everyday.
                        It tasted so good, I couldn't wait to drink it...even though I was having it 2-3 times per day.

That's the key, to find something high in protein and calories that you want to drink and can keep it up over a few months. That Mega Mass was just delicious, and really helped pack on the pounds.

I've always preferred making my own shakes. That way, I know what's in them and I don't have to pay for all of the extra maltodextrin fillers.

One of my favorite weight gain shake recipes:

2c. whole milk

1 egg

1 banana

1s. protein powder

1 tsp safflower oil

5g creatine monohydrate

1 tsp sugar (to taste)

Add a few ice cubes to chill and add frothiness, and blend the mixture on the highest setting until you get a nice, smooth consistency

The MeCoach Male Enhancement Coaching Service- For All of Your Male Enhancement Needs

Comment

bought a 12 lb. bag of serious mass from GNC. I agree, it is very tasty. By far the best tasting supplement I have tried. Ive been mixing with whole milk, banana and granola and it tastes like drinking an oatmeal cookie.

my only complaint is that they claim a serving size is "2 heaping scoops" yet the bag I purchased came with no scoop. I figured no big deal, I would just use a scoop from an old whey protein mix. However, serious mass also claims that the 12 lb. bag is good for only 16 servings.... If this is true there is no way I am using enough powder per shake.

how have you been measuring?

Comment

Originally posted by TWW View Post
                            bought a 12 lb. bag of serious mass from GNC. I agree, it is very tasty. By far the best tasting supplement I have tried. Ive been mixing with whole milk, banana and granola and it tastes like drinking an oatmeal cookie.

my only complaint is that they claim a serving size is "2 heaping scoops" yet the bag I purchased came with no scoop. I figured no big deal, I would just use a scoop from an old whey protein mix. However, serious mass also claims that the 12 lb. bag is good for only 16 servings.... If this is true there is no way I am using enough powder per shake.

how have you been measuring?
                            Most scoops are about 1/4 c, so if you have a 1/4 c measuring cup this'll work; or you can just use 6 tbsp.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                              Most scoops are about 1/4 c, so if you have a 1/4 c measuring cup this'll work; or you can just use 6 tbsp.
                              thats what I assumed but what is throwing me off is the "servings per container" info on the label. For only 16 servings it seems like you would have to use an awful lot of the stuff per serving.

Comment

Originally posted by TWW View Post
                                thats what I assumed but what is throwing me off is the "servings per container" info on the label. For only 16 servings it seems like you would have to use an awful lot of the stuff per serving.
                                That's usually the case with mass-gaining supplements.

You'll get more out of them if you mix in your own ingredients, or you can go the economical route and buy protein powder with as little added ingredients as possible and make your own shakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X