Martial Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts

I want to transition into becoming an alpha male. While I do not want to be an arrogant douche that picks fights with everyone, I do want the confidence in knowing that I can stand up for myself if push comes to shove. I'm 21 years old, 5'9 and not physically strong. If I walk down the street, I have an uneasy feeling that anyone can destroy me if they picked a fight with me. Of course, I'm aware that de-escalation is the best weapon in a fight, and that fights should be avoided at all costs, even if it means swallowing your pride. On the other hand, I can't walk down the streets confidently knowing that I am incapable of basic self-defence when encountered with a threat. Therefore, I have decided to pick up some type of martial arts. Honestly, this scares the shit out of me. I can already see myself getting beaten and embarrassed in front of everyone. But surely this is a step I need to take, isn't it?
    My question to you today is what type of Martial Arts you'd recommend me to start. I'm thinking about boxing, but I lack knowledge in the various types of combat sports. If there is anyone here that knows more about this topic, please feel free to share your thoughts.

So first off you aspire to be something you're not. Well that never really seems to work out. Next I don't care what martial art you know; the guy that outweighs you by 50 lbs and is 5 inches taller than you will kick your ass anytime. Why not be what you are; much safer.
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
      So first off you aspire to be something you're not. Well that never really seems to work out. Next I don't care what martial art you know; the guy that outweighs you by 50 lbs and is 5 inches taller than you will kick your ass anytime. Why not be what you are; much safer.
      What I stated in my post, and what I aspire to be, is someone with more knowledge in self-defence and who is capable of standing up for himself if push comes to shove. This is a trait that anyone, regardless of their size, is capable of achieving. What do you suggest I do, lay down and die just because I'm not 6 feet tall?

Comment

We don't know what would be available to u on where u live first?? Things like boxing, wrestling, mma, tai kwan do, wushu, etc. are more "Sports" then for actual self defense.. Don't get me wrong, people training those sports are more prepared then someone that doesn't do anything.. But, IF we are talking self defense, something like Shoto-kan/Okinawan Karate would fit the bill better (I have 4.5 yrs of Shoto-kan myself).. Then again something I've tried and really, really liked was Krav Maga (Israeli self defense training).. I can tell u it's simple, straight forward and it's very effective for "real" self defense.. This covers weapons (disarming) training as well..

I would recommend u start some free weight training at the gym, this will boost the confidence level some, and while doing that decide on some form of training and do the 2..
        Start: 11/2013: BPEL: 4.73" MEG: 4.5"
        Best: BPEL: 7" MEG: 5.625"
        Current:BPEL: 7" MEG: 5.5"

Comment

Originally posted by master-gauge View Post
          Then again something I've tried and really, really liked was Krav Maga (Israeli self defense training).. I can tell u it's simple, straight forward and it's very effective for "real" self defense.. This covers weapons (disarming) training as well..

I would recommend u start some free weight training at the gym, this will boost the confidence level some, and while doing that decide on some form of training and do the 2..
          Thank you so much for suggesting Krav Maga, I just checked and it's available in my area. Feel free to share your experiences with it, meanwhile I'll be doing some research myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyxciz View Post
            What I stated in my post, and what I aspire to be, is someone with more knowledge in self-defence and who is capable of standing up for himself if push comes to shove. This is a trait that anyone, regardless of their size, is capable of achieving. What do you suggest I do, lay down and die just because I'm not 6 feet tall?
            No I would suggest you do what I would do; walk away. Runaway if you have to. Remember it's not the size of the dog in the fight but rather the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

This may be of interest.
              https://www.pegym.com/forums/gym/594...s-martial.html

Not so Cusp the little guy can often overcome through being more skilled .

Watching openweight contests in martial arts is instructive . Little guys often win especially in smaller tournments and i have seen 145lb guys overcome a series of large opponents . At upper level though where all guys are very skill you tend to find large competitors . So i had the situation where people watching a comp were telling me it was wonderful the "little " guy won and he was 6ft 2" and 280lb.

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
                No I would suggest you do what I would do; walk away. Runaway if you have to. Remember it's not the size of the dog in the fight but rather the size of the fight in the dog.
                I will do everything in my power to avoid a fight, even if that means having to end it by apologizing. But what if I'm out clubbing one day and some fuckers decide they want to mess with me. Then, they follow me around and eventually have me surrounded in a corner or something. Yeah, I do realize that the odds aren't in my favor if they gang up on me, but having self-defence skills can be life-saving in some situations. Also, if you possess some fighting skills, you can always de-escalate situations more confidently. Because if people respect you, they are less likely to want to pick a fight with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                  This may be of interest.
                  https://www.pegym.com/forums/gym/594...s-martial.html

Not so Cusp the little guy can often overcome through being more skilled .

Watching openweight contests in martial arts is instructive . Little guys often win especially in smaller tournments and i have seen 145lb guys overcome a series of large opponents . At upper level though where all guys are very skill you tend to find large competitors . So i had the situation where people watching a comp were telling me it was wonderful the "little " guy won and he was 6ft 2" and 280lb.
                  You tell him Pegasus!
                  Seriously though, in what world is 6'2 little. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Zyxciz View Post
                    You tell him Pegasus!
                    Seriously though, in what world is 6'2 little. Lol

In heavyweight Judo at top level the typical competitor varies from 6ft 2 " to 6ft 7" and from 260lb to 330 lb, That is just typical though and bigger and smaller guys do exist the current worl champ for instance is bigger than that .

Comment

Here is a "little" guy that beat the big guys from memory he was the op's height . Caution though he was heavily weight trained and Godo trained.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isao_Inokuma

Comment

In heavyweight Judo at top level the typical competitor varies from 6ft 2 " to 6ft 7" and from 260lb to 330 lb, That is just typical though and bigger and smaller guys do exist the current worl champ for instance is bigger than that .
                        I just checked, is it Teddy Riner? Yeah those guys are huge.

Here is a "little" guy that beat the big guys from memory he was the op's height . Caution though he was heavily weight trained and Godo trained.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isao_Inokuma
                        Is there any matches I can watch were he went up against much bigger guys? The ones I found in youtube didn't show a huge height difference.

Comment

Many years ago I went to a charity boxing event; some amateurs, some pros trying to raise money for a cause I forgot. The main event was local guy with black belts in some martial art that ran martial art schools in the area. He was about 5' 10". His opponent was a 37 year old former Marine who was about 6' 6" and maybe 250lbs or so. It was over after 2 punches and it wasn't the Marine that was out cold.

Comment

There were more than a few times in my life in my life were I was involved in or witnessed those who were martial arts experts in action. In my twenties I worked at a psychiatric hospital and there were times were a true 2nd or 3rd degree black belt was brought in for evaluation. There were a couple of us there and these guys warned us they were black belts and were going to kick our ass and attacked. We pounced on them, knocked them to the floor, and promptly put them in a straight jacket. Maybe if we stood our position like we were going to fist fight them they may have gotten a few jabs in, but if you quickly grab a hold of them then it just turns into a wrestling mach and size and numbers are all that matters then. In my ten years there I was never once hit by any patient.

A friend of mine, who was on the larger side, was a bouncer at a bar and one time he had to throw out an unruly customer. In the parking lot this guy yelled out that he was a black belt and then struck my friend in the face with one of those swinging kicks. My friend shook his head, snagged the guy by the shirt and proceeded to beat him to a pulp into the pavement. They had to call an ambulance in for that one.

You may think that it will give you confidence over a guy that is larger than you but from anything in real life that I have experienced, if your opponent know what their doing most likely your still going to lose.
                            Cavalier
                            Retired Super Moderator
                            Member of the Month Feb 2015
                            PEGym Hero
                            Last edited by Cavalier; 05-21-2018, 05:35 PM.
                            To totally satisfy a woman sexually is not about having a large penis, it's about being a good lover.

Comment

Let's also consider the amount of time needed to be somewhat proficient at it where t would make a difference in a fight. Peg will tell you that it take an hour r two a day 5-6 days a weeks for few years to be good enough. Hell you're right and I'm wrong. Go get some martial arts training because by the time you're really good at it you'll be too old to get into fights and it will keep you ff the streets for a few years!

Comment

Working...
                              X