No announcement yet.

The BIG investing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is some good advice on here and some that is a bit sketchy. This is my job so I will give my 2 cents. The following is in no way a recommendation to buy or trade on the information given. Investing is risky so do your own research before investing. (There you go FINRA...that was my disclosure)

Diversification

Everyone thought diversification would prevent you from losses when the stock market would fall. How did that work for you in 2008?

Asset Class Diversification.... Most people were or are diversified among one asset class...such as mutual funds or stocks...These have no downward floor when the market drops unless you are using options and a few other advanced strategies that the general public doesn't know. So in 2008, people lost their ass because they weren't completely diversified.

Different Asset Classes

Stocks, Bonds Mutual Funds
    Managed Funds
    Annuities
    REITS
    Precious Metals
    Land
    Home owning/renting
    CDs,Money Market
    etc.

Ex: Not diversified among asset classes...Small Cap, Mid Cap, Large Cap, International, Tech, Google, Apple, Ford...This is diversification among one asset class.

Diversified among asset classes....Managed Funds, Fixed Indexed Annuity (not variable because its separate account is only the above mentioned),Non-Traded REIT,Money Market

The managed funds are invested in mutual funds, stocks and bonds... They are managed by a professional that should have an options hedge for downward pressure. This will limit losses to lets say 5%. FIA work as follows..when the market drops you don't lose a penny, when the market goes up, you get a portion of the gains. Non-Treaded REITS (Alternative Investments)-They may be invested in lets say storage units across the country. They take a pool of small investors and lump the money together to buy and sell Storage units across the country as a large investor would. They typically pay a dividend around 7% and each share is 10 bucks and since its not traded, it remains at 10. When the markets drop, these investments typically aren't affected because people still pay rent to these types of investments. Then you need your emergency money...cash, savings, money market for emergencies. This is diversification among asset classes.

Some classes will be negative but the other classes will help off set those losses. So instead of losing 30-50%, you may lose 5% or even 0.

Accumulation vs Income Phase

Accumulation is when we all make our money and use more risk. But the same principles cant be used when we transfer to the income phase. That is taking your nest egg and finally turning it into income. Like someone said above...when you invest regularly in the MARKET you buy low more often then you buy high and over time you will acquire more money. However, if you use the same principles in the MARKET while in retirement....YOU TAKE MORE MONEY OUT LOW MORE OFTEN THEN YOU DO WHEN IT IS HIGH. This can devastate your portfolio in retirement. Again, this is when asset diversification comes into play. Realize there are two different periods in your life. You obviously want to play it safer and be less invested in the market the older you get

I could go on and on, but I may lose some people. We can talk about taxes or using life insurance as investments, the different types of annuities and when to use them, fees, indexing, etc. The bottom line...educate yourself before you invest. Its your money. People near retirement, talk to a retirement advisor or educate yourself on the shift into retirement. Young people...start now and educate yourself on general investment. You will be surprised how fast you can pick it up.

I am a registered investment advisor, insurance agent and stock broker which means I can buy and sell any investment out there. I am not pushing a specific type of investment. This is as unbiased as it gets. Not all investments are bad, most people use them in the wrong way. Thanks for hearing me ramble
    12-5-11 --- 7-4-14
    6.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9 7.1.2.3
    4.7.8.9 5.1.2.3.4.5.6.7

Beginner's Guide-What to Expect
    The League Of PE Legends
    2014 Make Your Dick Bigger Challenge!!!

Comment

Please ramble on.
      Cause I'm TNT, I'm Dynamite :boxing::aikido:

Got nine lives...used six already!! :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by camaro View Post
        Please ramble on.
        +1

Comment

more replies
          więcej odpowiedzi
          mehr antworten
          más respuestas
          以上の返信
          plus de réponses
          lisää vastauksia
          több hozzászólás
          flere svar
          daha fazla cevap
          المزيد من الردود
          Start(11.24.11) BPEL 6 7/8 EG 4 7/8
          Current stats

Comment

Arkham, really good advice has already been posted. Anything else, for example specific stocks to invest, will not come or be bad advice. Referencing my previous post, if your have already done Poland's equivalent of 1-3 or they are not available, then do 4. Research some companies on the list and buy into one.

Comment

Media Market vs Market

I sat in an interesting call today talking about the perceived market through the media and the REAL market.

The media portrays the market as essentially the S&P and the DOW. If those indexes went up 5% after listening to the media, people believe they should have gained 5% today. The media likes to talk about these two right now because the S&P is up 15% this year and out performing any index out there. It is a hell of a year for the S&P. However, very few people are invested exclusively in one index. They are diversified among many. They have emerging markets,international, precious metals, gas and oil trading in their portfolios.

So it is important to understand that up or down, your portfolio will not mimic those indexes unless you are exclusively invested in one. The S&P is used as a bench mark to see how the US is doing but I am sorry but this isn't the 80 and 90s anymore. The US is not the market!

The world is the MARKET. More then ever, people are looking away from the US and investing in other countries and companies across the world. Their portfolios change constantly and the US is not always the meat of the portfolio. When comparing ROR to your own portfolio or a money manager....understand that the S&P is not the whole picture anymore... It is part of the picture. Don't be fooled and assume your portfolio is up just because the S&P and DOW are up. Know what is in your portfolio and measure accordingly.

Right know the World Economy/World Market is like this.....

A 4 engine plane U.S. China, Japan, Europe.

The US is moving along and every once an a while we hit a bump and we may see the rpms fall a bit but shortly the engine is running fine. (Until Bernake pulls back E3

China's is similar except China's rpms drop more and stay dropped a bit longer. Yes they are trying to slow their economy down, but China is a very young economy and they are experiencing issues and there are many more to come for that nation. (labor laws, pollution, wages,etc)

Japan has been smoking bad for years and years and until recently we werent sure if they were going to catch on fire. But they have actually reduced the smoke coming from the engine as of late.

Europe is on FIRE! They keep postponing issues that needs to be addressed now. Kicking the can down the road will bite you in the ass hard...(US needs to pay attention to how this is handled or we might suffer the same fate down the road)

4 economies at this time flying the plane. It isn't a smooth ride but the world market is holding its own. I didn't mention Brazil or India and a few others because at this time they don't have as much pull as the big 4. They are doing well and will be a force to be reckoned with.

So from here on out think of the market as a global force not a national market anymore. Understand that just because one received a negative or positive doesn't mean your portfolio should suffer the same fate.

Again, I dont try to come across as a know it all but rather I would like to share some of the in the industry's topics and tools to people who actually care about their retirement.
              12-5-11 --- 7-4-14
              6.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9 7.1.2.3
              4.7.8.9 5.1.2.3.4.5.6.7

Beginner's Guide-What to Expect
              The League Of PE Legends
              2014 Make Your Dick Bigger Challenge!!!

Comment

This is a great thread and I know as an individual you learn as time goes by. These are skills and knowledge set that you dont learn in school. You go to school, get a degree, work for your life but it is also imperative to have your money work for you 24/7. Anyone can recommend various resources so youngsters like myself can gain the incite over time on how to continue being secure . Thank you so much for all the invaluable info !

Comment

@Bnip: what are your thoughts on trading and trying to make a profit out of algoritms?

Softwares that calculate and predict algoritms and automatically buy at low and sell at high points .. A friend of mine is investing in that way at the moment. His starting budget was 15000 euros and now he's at 17000 euros. In only 2 months ..

Luck?

I study investing btw but I'm not that familiar with all the English terms of some products.. Let me know what you think!

Comment

Working...
                  X