Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I didn't really say poor Americans did I?
    As for the emissions stat I pulled that off a UN paper , one of many on the subject.
    If your figure of 17% is accurate then do you really think that the US reducing it's emissions to let's say 5% would mean anything when the other 83% of the polluters could care less? The Kyoto Protocol was stupid; it was meant to stick it to the "civilized" industrial countries giving free passes to the "developing" countries to do whatever they wanted to do because those poor countries did not or do not have the money to implement what was needed to be implemented. The was also a provision that the developing countries would be taxed, fined, or whatever silly word they called it to help pay for the poorer countries to implement emission reduction. In other word the ole U.S pays while others play. The deck was stacked and compliance was an still is poor. What good does it do if I stop pissing in the river when the rest of the village is pissing in it?
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
      Rep point for mentioning Al Gore!
      Can't argue with that logic!

Can someone explain to me how Al Gore profits from talking about climate change/global warming? Does he sell many inconvenient truth DVD's?? Admittedly I don't know much about the guy, but can't see how he profits?

Do I get a rep point for mentioning Al Gore?

Hey look, I said it twice, that must mean I get two!

I think this argument/debate is getting a bit heated, I blame global warming!
      "Those who know others have knowledge,
      those who know themselves have insight.
      Those who master others have force,
      those who master themselves have strength". - Lao Tzu

Comment

Yup, and is why I didn't want to get into it, but kept seeing these views that kept prodding me to reply. I should have just stayed away from the thread as I am too personally involved in the area. And now, in the words of Jay

Originally posted by burtybasset View Post
        I think this argument/debate is getting a bit heated, I blame global warming!
        League of Legends ​/ Top Performers / Pull the Chute

My Log / KITJ / KITV / Phallosan Tips / 2014 Challenge Statistics

Comment

Nuclear fission I believe creates the nasty waste by-products that nobody knows what to do about, nuclear fusion (naturally occurring in our sun) is a more energetic reaction with no nasty waste by-products or at less dangerous ones. But there is always the danger of something going wrong, as it has in the past with Chernobyl and Fukushima, maybe if they built reactors under large bodies of water it would be possible to limit this danger.

The US is not the only country doing anything about climate change/global warming, here in the UK we will be fined by EU if we don't meet certain emissions levels by 2020 I believe, that's if we are still a part of it then.

Also energy efficient lighting is being pushed - they have stopped making incandescent lamps (the original vacuum filament Edison screw bulbs), I believe they have stopped making high pressure sodium and metal halide (HID) lamps for street lighting and are being replaced with LED and compact fluorescent lighting.

Renewable energies for homes and businesses are on the increase since the government started offering feed in tariffs (FIT), which basically means for every Kilowatt of energy you generate and feed into the grid they will pay you for, but more than this they pay you for it even if you use this power yourself.

They call these alternative energies, but they are really primary energy sources, they haven't yet reached their full potential. Coming from someone who had solar thermal panels on his roof I can assure you that during the spring, summer and autumn months I saved money on my gas bill, in winter I still saved but my hot water wasn't boiling hot like it was in summer it was just warm.

I think we should all do our bit, but I don't particularly like jumping through hoops to get these technologies in place and working for the consumer, probably the most consistent and reliable source would be water turbine. But over here you have to apply to a few different governing bodies to get permission, to make sure you don't harm fish or affect the flow of the water further downstream and what not. Just too much politics to get anything done!
          The reason so many people around this globe dislike/hate Americans, is because so many of us here think we are the world's salvation and hope. More bluntly, we think our shit don't stink. Obviously we are not the only country working at fixing up this screwed up climate, but as we have seen from some of these posts, many here think we are the only ones. I work in a steel mill here in Cleveland, and years ago I would come out to my car each morning and it would be coated in a red ash kind of material. I don't remember what the stuff was, but the EPA and others said it was bad, real bad. Ordered to clean it up the company claimed it would cost jobs, and maybe force them to shut down. Government didn't care, the order stood. Eventually the mill complied, the red dust issue disappeared, and no one lost their jobs and the mill is still operating. However, after being forced by gunpoint to do so, and resisting every inch of the way, after finally giving in the mill put up huge billboard signs saying how much they care about the environment and the community it operates in. Not doing anything is similar to our interstate system. Roads were built, even though they knew more lanes would be needed in the near future. Rather than add the lanes now, they figured they would let the next generation worry about it. So when the next generation ended up adding those extra lanes, the costs were now astronomical compared to if it would have been built right the first time. Letting the future generations fix our problems is not the answer.
          FL 6.0"/MFG 5.75", BPEL 7.00"/MEG 6.5"

The Ultimate Jelq (The UJ)
          The Ultimate V (The UV)
          Testicle Jelq (The TJ)
          Heated Bundled LAS
          Ultimate Warmup Exercise

Comment

NO, NO, NO. We are not the worlds salvation Politicians make us so to get votes. Politicians can solve ALL the worlds problems, so they say. Global warming, poverty, racism, health care, education, etc.... I challenge any one to come up with an example of government fixing something, anything?, they don't want to. Example today VA, Obama pissed, gonna do a study , heads are gonna roll, BS! You wanna fix the VA problem, let any vet go to any hospital they'd like, anywhere Oh wait, that would eliminate the need for the VA dept, all those voting Democrats would be out of work. And SO, the wheel just gets bigger. Last census report, 86 million working, 142 million collecting benefites. Obama knows where his bread is buttered

Comment

Originally posted by rbi99 View Post
              The reason so many people around this globe dislike/hate Americans, is because so many of us here think we are the world's salvation and hope. More bluntly, we think our shit don't stink. Obviously we are not the only country working at fixing up this screwed up climate, but as we have seen from some of these posts, many here think we are the only ones. I work in a steel mill here in Cleveland, and years ago I would come out to my car each morning and it would be coated in a red ash kind of material. I don't remember what the stuff was, but the EPA and others said it was bad, real bad. Ordered to clean it up the company claimed it would cost jobs, and maybe force them to shut down. Government didn't care, the order stood. Eventually the mill complied, the red dust issue disappeared, and no one lost their jobs and the mill is still operating. However, after being forced by gunpoint to do so, and resisting every inch of the way, after finally giving in the mill put up huge billboard signs saying how much they care about the environment and the community it operates in. Not doing anything is similar to our interstate system. Roads were built, even though they knew more lanes would be needed in the near future. Rather than add the lanes now, they figured they would let the next generation worry about it. So when the next generation ended up adding those extra lanes, the costs were now astronomical compared to if it would have been built right the first time. Letting the future generations fix our problems is not the answer.
              Every government that got in power here in the UK has a similar philosophy, the new one always blames the last for it's incompetence.

Today doing my job, I had a scare whilst climbing through one of my customers lofts, I came across what I suspect is loose fill asbestos (Probably the worst kind). I had to inform my customer that I had to leave her property in an unfinished condition, until she gets it surveyed and tested. She isn't living there and intends to rent this property, but that's not the point.

Our government give people the Ok to use this material, which they have known harmed the lungs of workers since ancient Greece, banned it in 2000 and now takes virtually no responsibility in cleaning up this lethal material they imported, it's left up to the little guy, like my unfortunate customer to fund and removal is expensive.

Such things annoy me to no end, I am yet to find out if I get all those nasty diseases associated with this stuff, I felt bad for this lady today and could do with the funds this job would of provided, but would rather see my son grow up.

Our government have had the bright idea of building a new high speed railway that saves approximately 20 minutes, but if it goes ahead it will cost probably thousands there homes (compulsory purchase) and I believe it stops at all the places the previous one did.

Now I think this would be a good idea, if this train could take cars on board, that way no traffic, less emissions, relaxed non angry drivers. But no, you get basically what you already have with lots of disruption and eviction.

I don't think it's just American government, the UK has become America's bitch, I don't trust any of them, I mean do we even need them? It's the digital age and majority is supposed to rule is it not? I think we should all vote online concerning major issues, maybe have a few officials around to take care of the crap no one cares about to give them a job. The economy would benefit from not having to pay their giant salaries and expenses.

Comment

Holy schnikies what are you guys even talking about in here? lol

You never slow down, you never grow old!

Comment

Vote on line? Just makes the wheel bigger and corruption. You got a firewall on your computer, yes? Gonna trust it to make a vote for you? Really? Hmm?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay1983 View Post
                    Holy schnikies what are you guys even talking about in here? lol

Dunno man, my head hurts and I'm off to bed, good night all.

Comment

Schnikies? I like that, LOL. What did spell check have to say about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pity party View Post
                        Vote on line? Just makes the wheel bigger and corruption. You got a firewall on your computer, yes? Gonna trust it to make a vote for you? Really? Hmm?
                        You trust politicians?

Comment

You're right Burty, nite time. God bless Democracy starts with discussion and ends when it stops

Comment

I don't trust my mother, but I gave her flowers on Moms day

Comment

Sorry. One last thing about global warming. As our Sun ages it gets hotter, there is some fact. So yes this blue marble of ours is going to get warmer. I believe in the near term Mother Nature will compensate I'm 52 and I don't advise my children to have any of their own. It's sad but true, and NO humans have nothing to do with it and we could all drive electric cars and it won't F'in matter. And no we can't relocate and terraform Mars, it has no magnetic field, as it has no liquid iron core anymore

Comment

You trust politicians?
                                Politicians speak with fork toungues
                                Imagination expands the mind

Comment

Working...
                                X