Intermittent Fasting Protocols and Muscle Sparing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny D View Post
    Mark Sisson draws from a lot of research, as well, and provides quite a bit of info on various fasting protocols and strategies. If you haven't checked out his stuff yet, you might look into it. I think you would appreciate his approach.
    Yep, I've been following Sisson since back in the day, when the Primal Blueprint stuff first came out. It's good stuff, for sure, and all his recipes are killer! I still cook out of the Primal Blueprint Cookbook. He's also got a Keto Reset book that's more recent and quite good.
    START : 2/6/2020
    BPEL : 5.875" - BaseEG : 5.25" - MSEG : 5.0"
    CURRENT : 11/18/2021
    BPEL : 7.5" - BaseEG : 5.75" - MSEG : 5.75"

BPEL GOAL : 7.5+" - MSEG GOAL : 5.75+"

MadYogi's PE Log

Comment

Single problem about IF is I notice losing face fat that maintains youth looks, checked IF pics before and after at many people on the net and they look older after IF , eventhough IF is considered an anti-aging technique,

So what can we do to keep face fat (face pads) intact when the body will simply eat fat from whatever part of the body after too much fasting ?

how can we maintain face fat to normal degrees ?

Comment

Originally posted by Davis Carter View Post
        Single problem about IF is I notice losing face fat that maintains youth looks, checked IF pics before and after at many people on the net and they look older after IF , eventhough IF is considered an anti-aging technique,

So what can we do to keep face fat (face pads) intact when the body will simply eat fat from whatever part of the body after too much fasting ?

how can we maintain face fat to normal degrees ?
        Interesting... Perhaps it's the effect of glycogen depletion. People who adopt a form of fasting will often lose weight (not necessarily fat, often water) very quickly as their muscles glycogen stores are used up. Maybe the withdrawn look is a result of facial muscles deflated from water/glycogen loss and perhaps it normalizes over time as the individual dials in their nutrition better??

Comment

I doubt it's the muscles but the facial fat pads that are beauty - enchanchers

I mean it's obv. fat that's being consumed first and that facial fat pads is important to keep cherubian cheeks on

Comment

I mean it's obv. fat that's being consumed first and that facial fat pads is important to keep cherubian cheeks on
            This is interesting. Might be just a personal preference, or perhaps a cultural thing, but my wife has been super pleased that my face and neck aren't as chubby as they were when I weighed 40 pounds more (went from 225 to 185, with IF involved). I hardly look emaciated now, just more chiseled in my cheekbones and chin, and less bloated/pudgy looking overall in my face/neck, which at least for me is a positive.
            START : 2/6/2020
            BPEL : 5.875" - BaseEG : 5.25" - MSEG : 5.0"
            CURRENT : 11/18/2021
            BPEL : 7.5" - BaseEG : 5.75" - MSEG : 5.75"

BPEL GOAL : 7.5+" - MSEG GOAL : 5.75+"

MadYogi's PE Log

Comment

In our western society we are so unused to lean people that many find it disturbing when they see it .
              When I was a very lean 75 kg (165lb) I got a lot of negative feedback . Most people also seem to find it hard to tell the difference between muscle and fat .

Comment

I don't know whether that's true and don't necessarily agree that it's obvious that fat's consumed first. Frequently it's water in the muscles that goes first. Perhaps you're underestimating how much muscle is in the face and how bloated muscles become from excess glycogen. I don't know the answer - I'm posing hypothesis to the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                  In our western society we are so unused to lean people that many find it disturbing when they see it .
                  When I was a very lean 75 kg (165lb) I got a lot of negative feedback . Most people also seem to find it hard to tell the difference between muscle and fat .
                  Jeremy Meeks ?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLnUCkeol3Q" target="_blank">
                  Thick_Unit
                  Banned
                  Last edited by Thick_Unit; 09-02-2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Hmm so a friend has lost 50Kg with among other things IF , he had some negatives but still a good result . Now he is just maintaining most of the negatives are less apparent and certainly some health positives

Comment

I thought this was intersting re protocol.
                      Despite her reservations about recommending CR, Anderson praised the work of the research team in the Science Translational Medicine study for “pushing this forward for possible application in clinics.” In that study, test subjects followed a carefully designed 50 percent calorie restricted diet (totaling about 1,100 calories on the first day and 70 percent (about 700 calories) on the next four days, then ate whatever they wanted for the rest of the month.
                      Longo, the gerontologist at U.S.C., says the underlying theory of the on-again/off-again approach is that the regenerative effects of the regimen occur not so much from the fasting itself as from the recovery afterward. By contrast, long-term, uninterrupted calorie restriction can lead to the sort of negative effects seen in extreme conditions like anorexia.

The calorie-restricted diet in Longo’s study was 100 percent plant-based and featured vegetable soups, energy bars, energy drinks and a chip snack as well as mineral and vitamin supplements. It included nutrients designed to manipulate the expression of genes involved in aging-related processes, Longo explains. (Longo and U.S.C. are both owners of L-Nutra, the company that manufactures the diet. But he says he takes no salary or consulting fees from the company and has assigned his shares to a nonprofit organization established to support further research.)
                      Even the five-day-a-month calorie restriction regimen was apparently a struggle for some test subjects, resulting in a 25 percent dropout rate. But health benefits in the form of decreased body mass and better levels of glucose, triglycerides and cholesterol, along with other factors, showed up after the third month and persisted for at least three months—even after subjects had returned full-time to a normal diet. Notably, given concerns about other forms of calorie restriction, lean muscle mass remained unchanged.
                      The benefits were greater for people who were obese or otherwise unhealthy, Longo says. But those individuals might also need to repeat the five-day regimen as often as once a month to the point of recovery, he adds, whereas individuals who are already healthy and athletic might repeat it just twice a year.

Comment

Sounds like true IF - rather than the same, small eating window every day - and many proponents like it for the potential to develop higher metabolic flexibility

Comment

So I have been seeing some very different reports on results of 16hr fasting any updates ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                            So I have been seeing some very different reports on results of 16hr fasting any updates ?
                            What results have you seen?
                            Want a FREE Month of Coaching? PM or email me for details- or CLICK HERE

The MeCoach Male Enhancement Coaching Service- For All of Your Male Enhancement Needs

Comment

So just while wandering the web one guy saying the mass of research was not that supportive. He seemed to suspect the missing breakfast model was not the way to go and missing dinner may have better .
                              A different guy was waveing a recent study comparing 12 hr IF ,16 hr IF and normal diet in healthy athletic guys . So the result was health markers improved most in the 16 hr group however a drop in muscle mass and testtosterone compareed to normal diet. .

Meh perhaps I should abovid you tube

Comment

Just be reserved in what you read and what you believe. People can 'state' all kinds of stuff.
                                Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
                                Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

Comment

Working...
                                X