No announcement yet.

Calling All Gainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a diet needs to address all body systems to be effective for health.

it must actively address
    -caloric needs
    -immune system benefits ( phytochemicals)
    - stability of body ph (liver, kidneys, muscle tissue)
    - gastro-intestinal function (fiber)
    - nutrient needs
    -volume
    -cardiovascular benefits (phytochemicals)

and thats not even considering how a poor diet negatively affects those systems

Comment

Originally posted by bigmoe5067 View Post
      PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE, DIETS ARE NOT ABOUT THE RATIO OF FAT TO PROTEIN TO CARBS. its about the functional value of the nutrients in the food you eat . if you focus on nutritional content and not macro nutrients, your macros will naturally fall in line.
      THIS!!!!!!! I wish there was a way to emphasize this to people, nobody seems to understand this! Being healthy =/= being skinny. Calories are just one aspect out of about 4 or 5 that need to be addressed in a healthy diet.

Turtle when you say you only saw benefits from the diet you are just completely basing that off of your external body fat. There are several other factors at play which are equally important. You might not have had any adverse effects if you only did it for a week or two but diets like that are really unhealthy. The only real way to have success with a diet is to change your lifestyle.
      PEGym Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH76tfDxm7Y

Comment

Bigmoe, and what shall I do about that? Change what worked for me? Okay,fiber. I can always add more fiber, no big deal. You agree that i'm better off now than at 210 I would take it, but at the same time you're saying that eventually my lifespan will be lower, how on earth does that make any sense? Colon cancer, perhaps! It's just silly really. I would think getting that weight off asap and getting the blood pressure down would be a top priority, would it not? 30 or 40 years from now i'm not gonna give much of a damn anyway about some cancer.

But lets assume you are correct and I will have a shorter life span, I would rather have a shorter more healthy experience than a long miserable one.

Comment

i forgot a few, particularly bone density. isnt it just odd that all of the highest calcium containing foods are plants, and that dairy calcium isnt beneficial to bone growth, since calcium is often used to to create salts to neutralize the acidity of milk. even worse the calcium your body uses isnt from the milk, its from your bones.

so yes dairy might increase bone growth, but it actually lowers bone density

also consider the okinawans. the longest living culture on the planet, along with a few other asian/indian cultures. their diets were mostly plant based with some grain and minimal fish....in total around 90% plant based

Comment

Originally posted by TurtleProblems View Post
            But lets assume you are correct and I will have a shorter life span, I would rather have a shorter more healthy experience than a long miserable one.
            The point is that eating like that is less healthy. All other things being equal, less fat is better than excess fat. But losing it that fast is unhealthy and eating so few calories is extremely unhealthy, and then on top of that you are probably not getting near as many nutrients as you should.
            PEGym Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH76tfDxm7Y

Comment

Diets are just fucking silly anyway.

Here's a thought. Eat a proper and balanced diet and exercise. It's as simple as that.
              Want to maintain your weight? Calories in = Calories out
              Want to loose weight? Calories in < calories out (this doesn't mean to starve yourself either. Go for a jog or something)
              Want to gain weight? Sit on your ass eating cheetos all day.

Comment

turtle...a real diet will have the same benefits you got from that hack diet. colon cancer or cardiovascular disease. hypertension was solved, but its only a small piece of the puzzle. you would most likely die from old age at 70 or 80. people that dont eat plant based food age quicker. it may not be some disease but the simple fact of aging will speed up. i want to live to 110, i dont know about you

a nutritarian diet would do the same as your low carb diet but with real health benefits.

your point of view is so narrow minded. people are capable of living vibrantly with happiness and mobility into their 90's and 100's but for some reason we have this belief that we should die of some illness at 80, and that from 60-80 we should get old and be used to having poor health. it simply doesnt have to be the case

but if you are so enamored by your current diet, then stick with it and consider transitioning to a more health based

Comment

I would rather die at 80, than 110 when you start to look like a mummy and see your dick fall off.

Comment

turtle...a real diet will have the same benefits you got from that hack diet. colon cancer or cardiovascular disease. hypertension was solved, but its only a small piece of the puzzle. you would most likely die from old age at 70 or 80. people that dont eat plant based food age quicker. it may not be some disease but the simple fact of aging will speed up. i want to live to 110, i dont know about you

a nutritarian diet would do the same as your low carb diet but with real health benefits.

your point of view is so narrow minded. people are capable of living vibrantly with happiness and mobility into their 90's and 100's but for some reason we have this belief that we should die of some illness at 80, and that from 60-80 we should get old and be used to having poor health. it simply doesnt have to be the case

but if you are so enamored by your current diet, then stick with it and consider transitioning to a more health based
                    It's a real shame Jack LaLanne died, but even more shame that people want to ignore everything that he's proven about fitness and a proper diet.

Even when he died at 96, he still looked healthier and better than most people do in their late 50's.

Comment

and to our paleo friend. have you ever looked at the life expectancy of the inuit compared to the Okinawan?

Comment

Originally posted by DemOne View Post
                        It's a real shame Jack LaLanne died, but even more shame that people want to ignore everything that he's proven about fitness and a proper diet.

Even when he died at 96, he still looked healthier and better than most people do in their late 50's.
                        agreed...and i love his 2 meal premise. people think you should eat many small meals for your metabolism but this doesnt fit a healthful dynamic. you lymphatic system and waste removal systems does most of thier work when you are not eating since bloodflow cant go to every organ at once.

if you are constantly eating, you are limiting the amount of time your body can be processing and removing waste. less meals is better for your health

Comment

agreed...and i love his 2 meal premise. people think you should eat many small meals for your metabolism but this doesnt fit a healthful dynamic. you lymphatic system and waste removal systems does most of thier work when you are not eating since bloodflow cant go to every organ at once.

if you are constantly eating, you are limiting the amount of time your body can be processing and removing waste. less meals is better for your health
                          Who ever came up with the whole 5 small meals a day thing must be rich as hell right now...but people seem to never want to realize that the whole 5 meal a day thing was created by people who sell snack nutrition bars as a way of selling more, because it's easier to grab a 300 calorie bar a few times a day than carry around small snacks.

I only eat 2.5 meals a day and I'm doing just fine.

What I love most about his 2 meal premise is what his meals consisted of. Egg whites, vegetable broth, fruits, oatmeal, and soy milk for one meal, raw vegetables egg whites, and fish

Comment

I have tried other diets, I tried a balanced approach, I tried exercising, and none of it worked for me (unless you consider losing a few ounces in a week as optimal for somone that was in as bad a state as I was) untill I got rid of the carbs and sugars out of my diet. ^ and you're right, it is silly. Silly that something that's the complete opposite of what the "health experts" advise could work and so well for somone. I am going to stick with it, my PE gains are even better than before too so thats even more of a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TurtleProblems View Post
                              I have tried other diets, I tried a balanced approach, I tried exercising, and none of it worked for me (unless you consider losing a few ounces in a week as optimal for somone that was in as bad a state as I was) untill I got rid of the carbs and sugars out of my diet. ^ and you're right, it is silly. Silly that something that's the complete opposite of what the "health experts" advise could work and so well for somone. I am going to stick with it, my PE gains are even better than before too so thats even more of a reason.
                              Quick question.

For the exercise and balanced diet that did not work, what was your calorie intake each day and how many calories did you burn each day?

Comment

Originally posted by DemOne View Post
                                Quick question.

For the exercise and balanced diet that did not work, what was your calorie intake each day and how many calories did you burn each day?
                                1-2k calories. 30 mins cardio a day. Didn't start to lose untill I started eating 5-700 calories range with 1-2 meals. Have had my blood sugar checked and am not diabetic, but have high blood pressure. Metabolism was very shitty I assume, seeing now I can have a day off where I eat things like pizza and it no longer puts weight on me like it used to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X