Calling All Gainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Consequences View Post
    I keep seeong people bring up how dairy is bad. How so? And what about organic yogurts and milk?
    I don't think this article touches on all of the bad things about dairy but definitely explains the biggest one.
    Debunking the Milk Myth: Why Milk is Bad for You and Your Bones | Save Our Bones

PEGym Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH76tfDxm7Y

Comment

Originally posted by BTBrian View Post
      The point is that eating like that is less healthy. All other things being equal, less fat is better than excess fat. But losing it that fast is unhealthy and eating so few calories is extremely unhealthy, and then on top of that you are probably not getting near as many nutrients as you should.
      Okay its less healthy, but I lost the weight, lowered the blood pressure and got rid of the erection problems. Are you trying to say i'm still unhealthy since the way I lost it was "less healthy"? I have already said nothing worked for me, what else was I supposed to do stick with something thats gonna take me years to lose any weight just because it might have more nutrients?

Comment

Originally posted by TurtleProblems View Post
        Okay its less healthy, but I lost the weight, lowered the blood pressure and got rid of the erection problems. Are you trying to say i'm still unhealthy since the way I lost it was "less healthy"? I have already said nothing worked for me, what else was I supposed to do stick with something thats gonna take me years to lose any weight just because it might have more nutrients?

years? if you lose a lb a week you could lose over 50lbs in a year. nothing worked for you because of how you did it

Comment

You can't say nothing worked for you if you can't even say how many calories you burned compared to how many you took in. Just sayin'.

In 2010 I lost 30lbs over the course of 4.5 months, and I did it all with exercise and eating a proper diet, not trying to starve myself with some weird fad diet or eating stupid low calories numbers like 1,000-1,500 calories a day.

And now what do I do? I still eat healthy and I still exercise 5 times a week.
          Last edited by DemOne; 05-04-2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DemOne View Post
            You can't say nothing worked for you if you can't even say how many calories you burned compared to how many you took in. Just sayin'.

In 2010 I lost 30lbs over the course of 4.5 months, and I did it all with exercise and eating a proper diet, not trying to starve myself with some weird fad diet or eating stupid low calories numbers like 1,000-1,500 calories a day.

And now what do I do? I still eat healthy and I still exercise 5 times a week.
            exactly. i have lost weight eating 3000 kcals a day when i first got into cross fit training just by tracking calories, and my metabolism isnt that of a speedy skinny guy. i was once over 310 lbs, hence bigmoe. ive lost over 50lbs in 6months twice in my life, both on low carb diets. the moment i transitioned off i put the weight back on over time. once i started a healthier diet, i kept the weight off and am still gradually getting thinner. but more importantly, i havent been sick in over 2 years. i used to have asthma and had to repeat the 9th grade due to pneumonia. i once was a sick kid. i lose weight slower but im healthier, getting healthier all while keeping the weight off.

if you track your calories and stay 500kcals under the amount your BMR + kcals burned daily, thats 3500 kcals deficit a week which is 1lb per week.

if this diet is a success for you then im not going to suggest a change until you hit your goal, but at least develop some sort of plan for a sustainable diet for the future.

your young. it should not be a race to shed this weight. also your skin wont appreciate the quick lose. if you lose too quickly your skin wont re-elasticize, and you may end up with some hang.

also i would suggest more exercise. at your age it is not unreasonable to run 15+ miles a week

Comment

Honestly in my opinion the best way to keep weight off (really the only way) is to eat a healthy diet like we are all saying and develop a workout plan that consists not only of cardio but also a decent amount of weight training. More lean muscle mass = more calories burnt daily = easier to keep weight off. If you starve yourself and run a ton you lose a ton of fat and a ton of muscle mass which causes your metabolism to drop drastically, making it nearly impossible to keep weight off.

I guess I'm just reiterating what's already been said.
              PEGym Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH76tfDxm7Y

Comment

also, to anyone dieting. i suggest both reading for at leat 20 minutes a day, and either meditating or doing some sort of breathing exercise for at least 10 minutes a day. both have a wonderful affect of reducing cortisol production, and increasing the strength of your PNS

Comment

Originally posted by Consequences View Post
                  I keep seeong people bring up how dairy is bad. How so? And what about organic yogurts and milk?
                  Nothing is wrong with dairy unless you are lactose intolerant (2 out of 3 adults worldwide), or intolerant of casein. What is interesting is that some who thought they were dairy intolerant, having only had conventional pasteurized + homogenized (mangled milk), found they had no problems whatsoever with raw dairy. The proteins and fats are damaged in the 'making milk safe' industrial nonsense. And for the record, my mother and all her family lived with daily raw dairy growing up, as well as eating the beef and organ meats of the farm animals themselves. Damned healthy people--no osteoporosis.

Just to add fuel to the fire: One Year Later: The China Study, Revisited and Re-Bashed « Raw Food SOS Down the page (it's meaty reading) is a discussion of bone density analysis of Chinese women who include or don't include dairy in the diet. Hint: bone density of women who consumed dairy calcium was significantly greater than those who consumed plant sources.

The myths and bullshit just never end.
                  Handcramp
                  Last edited by Handcramp; 05-05-2012, 12:42 AM. Reason: Added link.
                  Wood is good!

Comment

lol, you honestly make me laugh

Back to Dairy as i think people should know
                    - there is a strong association between lactose and ischemic heart disease
                    - there is a strong association between dairy and bladder, prostate, colorectal, and testicular cancers
                    - dairy fat is the primary source of exposure to dioxin, a higher up on the EPA's known cancer causer list.
                    - cheese increases acidity, which aids in calcium removal
                    -one study showed that 2.5 servings of dairy a day increases prostate cancer risk by 30%
                    - dairy protein increases IGF-1, which people like because it stimulates growth. it also stimulates growth of cancer cells, specifically in the prostate
                    - high lactose consumption increases the risk of ovarian cancer by nearly 40%

the problem is low fat milks are lactose heavy, whish has a variety of health implications. high fat milk has less lactose but dairy fat has its own just as negative health implications.

more people too are lactose intolerant than we realize. the symptoms are just so mild that we assume, fatigue, upset stomache, elevating allergic responses and other mild symptoms are coming from another source.

and as for calcium as a source, milk isnt even a good one. per 100 calories milk has 189mg of calcium. thats excluding how skewed the number really is considering how poorly absorpable milk calcium is. bok choy however, has 775 mg of calcium per 100 calories. collard greens had 539mg.

lets just say, cow milk was meant for baby cows

even if you debunk the fact that calcium from milk doesnt decrease bone density. there wasnt a proper analysis of the actual quanity and caloric intake of both people shown in the diet. and its no secret that veganism, if not done correctly or consumed in high enough amounts can have negative impacts on your health. theres also suspect of the quality and diversity of the food eaten by the near vegans in this study, not to mention the fact that it is one study and many more have statistically shown results that oppose it results. i dont just eat plant vegetation, i eat specific calcium dense foods

Comment

nor does it address lifestyle. high impact movement affects bone density. since the studies showed that animal protein hardly created more bone density than plants, this slight advantage could just as well been due to a variance in lifestyle

Comment

new Harvard studies suggest exposure to sunlight and physical activity to be the largest determinant of whether bones fracture will occur

Protein consumption and bone fractures in women. [Am J Epidemiol. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI....a study on excessive protein and risk of fractures

Vitamin K intake and bone mineral density in women and men...vitamin K's role (found in plants) in relation to bone density

also, if your crazy premise (that neglects studies that have proven the negative attributes of both lactose isolated and dairy fat isolated) that pasteurization is the main issue with disease from milk....how many demographics have access to unpasteurized milk? not many right. would it makes sense then to even reccomend it

the only reason i could see that plants wouldnt alone given their high levels of calcium immediately cause you to have enough bone density might be calcium oxolate, a salt that is produced by cruciferous vegetable consumption. a harmless salt. even then eating enough of them will give you enough calcium since high calcium level do not exactly give you better protection from osteo disordersCalcium intake and hip fracture risk in men a... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Comment

i love how when there are conflicting studies on topics that havent been sufficiently studies, each side calls the other a myth. nutrition is a rapidly growing field with hundreds of years of research ready to go. it is to say, currently they are on the tip of the iceberg in studying plant based chemicals. its early to tell, and most sides need more research to back up their findings.

this is why i trust studies that heavily correlate longevity to a diet. since much criteria can be disputed, but long term mortality rates in relation to diet in isolated communities is not as easy to debunk

Comment

Insulin-dependent diabetes (Type I or childhood-onset) is linked to consumption of dairy products. Epidemiological studies of various countries show a strong correlation between the use of dairy products and the incidence of insulin-dependent diabetes.17,18 Researchers in 199218 found that a specific dairy protein sparks an auto-immune reaction, which is believed to be what destroys the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas.

Comment

An estimated 30 million to 50 million American adults are lactose intolerant.4 The pattern of primary lactose intolerance appears to have a genetic component, and specific populations show high levels of intolerance, including approximately: 95 percent of Asians, 60 percent to 80 percent of African Americans and Ashkenazi Jews, 80 percent to 100 percent of American Indians, and 50 percent to 80 percent of Hispanics. Lactose intolerance is least common among people of northern European origin, who have a lactose intolerance prevalence of only about 2 percent....Swagerty, D.L., Walling, A.D., & Klein, R.M. (2002). Lactose intolerance. American Family Physicians, 65(2), 1845-1850.

lol, it must be healthy if most of the world is intolerant to it.

Comment

This thread is one place I will never go for diet advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X