Squat variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
    Would not have thought of swings as that technique heavy.
    They absolutely are. Modern man's body is bound to be stiff in the hips and lower back, especially due to all the sitting we do.

Not only might the technique be incorrect (a tendency to round the upper back or incorporate the shoulders, or overextend on the hip thrust) because of these innate muscle imbalances and stiffnesses, but higher weight + momentum can quickly take the body out of its comfort zone and lead to injury.

That said, I do think that these can be learned reasonably well even on your own. If so, just practice the motion with your own bodyweight to improve flexibility and muscle memory, then *slowly* add weight.

Comment

Well I do swings at times but have never focused on them . I usually use them as a warmup especially before oly style stuff.

Comment

So weighted squatting will strengthen and relax your PF due to the stretch?

In turn keeping your PF more relaxed during sex, staying off the PONR for longer?

I have been hindi squatting 3x3 minutes every day for 1 week and randomly lasted about three minutes longer yesterday. Do you think this is the squats working? I didnt use any techniques so i think perhaps the squats subtlely manifest in this way??

Comment

Originally posted by Learich View Post
          So weighted squatting will strengthen and relax your PF due to the stretch?

In turn keeping your PF more relaxed during sex, staying off the PONR for longer?

I have been hindi squatting 3x3 minutes every day for 1 week and randomly lasted about three minutes longer yesterday. Do you think this is the squats working? I didnt use any techniques so i think perhaps the squats subtlely manifest in this way??
          Weighted squats if done very deep have some rk effect . However they are not the prime variant for this effect as the body needs core stabilisation during weighted squats and activates the pf . The hindi squats can be relaxed into and some even do rk during it making it the prime rk effect squat .
          Yes I do think hindi alone can increase stamina by relaxing the pf .

The strengthen effect of weighted squat varies depending on a number of factors.

Comment

A little off topic but try these. I was surprised after doing 3 sets of 20 reps I felt it for sure in my butt the next day. Apparently my usual legs exercises weren't hitting everything. Should help with you squats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz1gh_aYn5k
            7 1/4 inches x 5 1/4 inches Spring 2014
            8 X 5 1/2 late summer 2014
            8 X 5 3/4 Feb. 2015 That took a while.
            8 X 6 goal
            8 X 5 7/8 May 2015, wife said stop for now.

Comment

I can attest that squats help PE. I went from 10 -30 secs to 4-5 mins when I was doing weighted squats at the gym. Not sure if it was an increase in testosterone or a strengthening of pelvic floor or a combination of both. But when I stopped the squats I slowly creeped back to a 10 sec chump
              Just started a new gym membership so wish me luck

Comment

Did you squat lower enough to get a stretch effect?

Comment

I do high bar back squats 3x a week. It works out to 75 squat reps each week.

It took me a few months of stretching to be able to squat low. Now I go all the way down (ass to grass as they say). I can attest to tight hip flexors. My lord were they tight.

Pegasus, I'll try to remember to pay closer attention to what is actually going on with my pelvic floor at the bottom of my squat. But even now I'm reasonably certain that it is absolutely engaged IF you go all the way down. I need to break all the leg muscles out of the equation, then everything in the hips starts to take over.

Do be careful guys if you're going to try this stuff out.. you don't want your spine to over extend on the bottom of your squat. It will to a degree, and its actually normal, but you need to be careful that you have good flexibility so your pelvis isn't tilting so much that you hurt yourself.
                  Start - 10/21/17
                  BPEL - 7.0" / MEG - 5.0"

Goal - 7.5x5.5

Comment

You are describing weighted squats and yes the pf should be on in this case .

Comment

Was just reminded of the effect of low end squats done with a wide stance .

Has anyone else done these ?

Comment

Just a notr here since it has come up.

Weighted squats have a kegel effect . If done full range they also have a rk effect .
                        Note what i said there full range so ass to grass .

In the case where weighted squats are done in the upper end of the range there is no rk effect . There can be a very strong kegel effect especially as a heavy weight can be used .

The downside of this is if no rk work is being done then you have the situation of kegel with no rk and the potential for pf issues.

Comment

With age and wear and tear I have become moe limited in the gym.

However have been doing pause squats these work very well at a lower weight than standard squats .

Comment

With age and some injuries, I'm in the same boat and totally agree. Lots of tempo squats, too - 3 sec down, 1 sec up, etc... And lately I've been doing super slo mo. As few as possible in, say, 90 sec with no pause allowed. Right now it's just with an empty 45# bar and I can't do fewer than 3 or 4. The goal is to do maybe 2 in that time and maybe even add weight.

Edit: I just realized this is in the pre-e forum, not exercise. Sorry... Wasn't my intention to take it OT
                            Last edited by Johnny D; 06-20-2019, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny D View Post
                              With age and some injuries, I'm in the same boat and totally agree. Lots of tempo squats, too - 3 sec down, 1 sec up, etc... And lately I've been doing super slo mo. As few as possible in, say, 90 sec with no pause allowed. Right now it's just with an empty 45# bar and I can't do fewer than 3 or 4. The goal is to do maybe 2 in that time and maybe even add weight.

Edit: I just realized this is in the pre-e forum, not exercise. Sorry... Wasn't my intention to take it OT
                              This particular thread is on squats etc . Squats are widely used onsite in the treatment of pre e so are relevant .
                              The effect of various types of squat is of interest .
                              So while I have done pause squats I have never done superslow . What do you feel are it's effects especially on the pelvic area ? I should imagine prolonged contraction even at low level would have an effect .

I have done speed (tempo?) squats and jump squats and found them of value in the past but injury has made it more difficult .

Comment

Doing them super slow, like an unweighted 2 min squat, for example, would be similar in effect to the benefits of wall sits. We can use weighted squat repetitions for strength and then use slow motion squats for endurance. My understanding is that it's activating Type 1 muscle fibers. They also elevate the heart rate for a sustained period of time in a way that heavy work doesn't. Slo mo moves are a nice complement to the rest of my workout and I'm finding that with the slo mo squats, I have to maintain highly engaged core and pelvic muscles for longer than weighted reps.

Tempo and slo mo is also great for working around injuries. I ruptured a disc a few years ago and the slower work allows me to work around that by lowering the load while still building strength.

Comment

Working...
                                X