New group for hockey players and fans of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
    Only one man could change a game all by himself-Bobby Orr!
    You know that was eactly the answer I was looking for. I have had this discussion many times and everybody just throws Gretzky out there, he was great but Bobby Orr changed the game more than any one in the history of the sport.
    So Cusp, how many years did you play?
    Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

I watched; it was easier getting girls that way! You guys never had any front teeth!
      The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Bobby Orr changed the game more than anyone else- The whole defensive position and transformed it and it impacted other areas of our game.

Mario was the most skilled (I hated him, but it is not that debatable).

Gretzky was the best ever. He beat the game with his mind first and foremost...He didn't have the top tier skill or size or strength, but he still dominated and absolutely shattered most records.

Gretzky is my favorite, but you can make a great case for all three and other notables like Howe, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey_NY View Post
          Bobby Orr changed the game more than anyone else- The whole defensive position and transformed it.
          Mario was the most skilled (I hated him, but it is not that debatable)
          Gretzky was the best ever. He beat the game with his mind first and foremost...He didn't have the top tier skill or size or strength, but he still dominated and absolutely shattered most records.
          What do you expect from a Ranger fan!

Comment

I try my best, Cusp!

I think what I note is fair. Yeah, Gretzky is the 'sexy' and usual choice, but what he accomplished is amazing considering he did not have top tier speed, shot, strength, etc. Beating the game with his hockey IQ and mind is impressive.

Comment

Gretzky was the greatest goal scorer, not the best. Messier went on to win two stanley cups after Gretzky and he were seperated. Gretzky neverwon one again, I also think yzerman was one of the greatest ever.
              I think Mario was fantastic and was the only player to average more points per game (2.02) to Gretzkeys average (1.94) up untill the time Mario retired, he did slip under Gretzkys average after his return but Gretzky may get the overall nod due to longevity. Thedvantage that Gretzky had was also the time he played in, lets not forget that the rules had been drastically changed since the days of Richard and Howe to favor goal scorers in the 80's. It was common place to score 60 or more then if you were a good player. Mike bossy is actually the most consisten 50 goal scorerer in the history of hockey.
              Esposito probably actually ha the greatest scoring season in history if you factor in the average goals scored by player in his era. Richard also scored 50 goals in 50 games when a player was considered elite if he had 30 goals, then the guy would be a franchise player.
              I would still have to go ith Orr as the first defenseman to go over 100 points and be the leading scorer in the NHL, in 72 games! After all, Gretzky was know for his play behind the net. That was actually originated by Bobby Orr. Maybe in his own end but that changed the game forever.

Comment

Phil Esposito couldn't shoot a puck more than 10 feet on ice! That's why he was always around the net for the garabage goals and he did get a lot of them!

Comment

A good discussion is always Bure...Who was scoring 60 in the NHL "dry" period of the late 90's to early 00's. IMO, had he played in Bossy's era, he matches those numbers of 76-80 easily.

Comment

Okay I'll pick my team. I'll take Kenny Dryden in goal, give me Orr and Dennis Potvin on defense, and then give me Gretzky to center for Bossy and Bobby Hull. Anyone want to play me?

Comment

I will go with Roy in net, since you got Orr (Damn it) I ll take Lidstrom and Larry Robinson. Give me Lemieux at center with Bobbys son Brett and Howe (at 30 years old) on the wing and I will play you.
                      And yes, Espo was a garbage man but he was able to collect trash 76 times and when everyone knew he was going to grab it they still couldnt do a damn thing to stop it, at least 76 times.
                      Let me go all world and I would bring in Tretieak, D would be Kaspiritus, Konstantinov, with Bure, Federov and Ovechkin up front. A modern day Canada cup, wouldnt that be incredible to witness.

Comment

I am going to win a lot of friends and say my favorite player in the last decade has been Jagr.

Comment

It was a great game BigO but my team won 4-1!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey_NY View Post
                            I am going to win a lot of friends and say my favorite player in the last decade has been Jagr.
                            Nothing wrong with having a favorite. I have named some who I think were the best but my favorites are actually Darryl sittler and Steve Yzerman.

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
                              It was a great game BigO but my team won 4-1!
                              2 out of 3 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X