No announcement yet.

Likes and reps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I click like on just about everything I agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyDick View Post
      When repping someone has to put in why they are repping the person. Can something like that be done with with the like button?

How about a reminder of when to use like and when to give a rep. I believe the distinction is blurred for most people because I know that I am confused.
      Or how about some sort of system that every X amount of likes gives you an increase in rep points ... That might makes things complicated. Simple is always good too. we can just ditch the likes altogether.

Hey weren't the reputation colour bars supposed to change as the person got higher and higher?
      "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
      Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
      Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
      As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

Yeah I dont give out reps too often and there have been times I should have

Comment

Originally posted by anonymity View Post
          what?
          Now that is more like it!!
          Cause I'm TNT, I'm Dynamite :boxing::aikido:

Got nine lives...used six already!! :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by camaro View Post
            If cusp dislikes likes, why does he" like " so much? Like....that is totally unlikable....like for real.
            No seriously Camaro, what are you talking about? I want to understand.
            Draggin Trainer

Tikkun Olam

Comment

No seriously Camaro, what are you talking about? I want to understand.
              Let me explain how a joke is sometimes made.

The word "like" has several meanings. You could like something, or it could be what they call a "filler" word. What Camaro is trying to do there is shove as many uses of the word like into one sentence as a lark ... a joke, if you will.

Glad I could help. Don't thank me, Anon, it's just what I do.

Comment

You know, I was just thinking about it and when I'm viewing these conversations it's like if I was sitting around the fire with my huge family. I'm not going to be in on every bit of conversation, but when I am and I hear something I agree with or support I might not have anything to add, but I will give a wink, nod, elbow, smile.

I guess that's what I'm doin with ya'll when I give a "like", since we can't actually be together.
                Draggin Trainer

Tikkun Olam

Comment

You know, I was just thinking about it and when I'm viewing these conversations it's like if I was sitting around the fire with my huge family. I'm not going to be in on every bit of conversation, but when I am and I hear something I agree with or support I might not have anything to add, but I will give a wink, nod, elbow, smile.

I guess that's what I'm doin with ya'll when I give a "like", since we can't actually be together.
                  Sometimes a post should be given some extra merit than a like. Like my stories! Or that post by TehDbare (SP?) the other day. There are many more. People will give them a like and not add to the person's rep.
                  That's what CUSP is talking about.

Comment

I dislike likes.

I like reps because it allows me to motivate the person and the details of my rep are between me and the recipient I almost always give rep to a person with no reps as a mater of both principle and motivation, welcoming and showing that even though I am not answering the questions the poster may have I noticed it. Some might argue that the bar that fills is a sort of "e-penis" and to some degree I agree to that however I see it more for good than the bad. Also I often rep a good post presentation or a solid attempt at something, the fact that I can outline the reason why is also a big bonus for me. But the biggest good side of reps for me is that it is all about the sender and recipient and nobody else.

Also even if never used it (as far as I remember) reps can be negative, and even though this is one of the most well behaved communities out there are times when neg rep has been put to good use, and some times where it has been using for not so good use, so it is kind of split in regards of neg rep.

Likes on the other hand are more to bring attention to certain post to others. Since if something is liked by some of more influential others that hold that person's opinions in high regard or just like the person, in that way it is both positive and negative since it has a certain effect of swaying opinions. Also likes don't carry the reason if somebody isn't posting after that "somewhat" explaining the like, many people may like the same post for the entirely different reasons. Also likes for me are a little egotistical since they denote that "I" like something. If I want to publicly support someone I will most likely do it in a from of rep and post.

Also likes are just that, they don't carry much weight, reps on the other hand increase the reputation making the person himself more noted (chances are even though you may not want to pay more attention to what a person with a big bar says then that with no bar at all), while this can be viewed in a very negative light thanks to the community we have here, most if not all of those bars are well earned. It would be interesting to see what will happen to frequency of likes if there was a like bar also.

I don't think I will ever use like as a means of "liking" something on this forum I can only hope that the reps system won't be replaced fully by likes.

The other probably more important reason i like reps is because there where a great motivation tool for me at the beginning of my journey, when you are at that crucial point between giving up and hanging on it is a little thing, but sometimes it is those little things that paw the way for something better. (Hence my repping for members that don't have any reps, for me you deserve a rep for just trying to post and asking for help because that is further than many persons who just lurk have come, it is a big step it should be respected).
                    Minuteman
                    Member of the Month March 2013.
                    Last edited by Minuteman; 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM.
                    premE FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Minuteman View Post

Also likes are just that, they don't carry much weight, reps on the other hand increase the reputation making the person himself more noted (chances are even though you may not want to pay more attention to what a person with a big bar says then that with no bar at all), while this can be viewed in a very negative light thanks to the community we have here, most if not all of those bars are well earned. It would be interesting to see what will happen to frequency of likes if there was a like bar also.
                      Great post, minuteman.

My problem with the reps is that the bar fills up too quickly. Sure, the title that pops up when you hover your cursor over it has been changed, but as far as the green things go, I can't tell the difference between someone with 2000 rep points and 20,000 rep points. What's the difference between mine and cusps points? Well a number you can't see. It'd be cool if we could change that.

Although, control has enough on his plate already.

Comment

For me I really don't pay much attention to the details or shades of the bar. And I kinda like that the bar is not filling slow since the most important difference to me is between a beginner and someone who made enough good posts fill the bar, after that point it matters little and also diminishes the "e-penis" problem (when just the shade is the indicator is not that big of an impact, in fact people rarely notice I think).

Although I admit to paying more attention to post reps ratio, in other words if I see a person who has not much posts but high rep I start to go trough the posts in order to see the reason why, and most often then not get some pretty good info especially in the premature ejaculation forum since I mostly dwell there (one could be surprised how many members go unnoticed in that relatively small forum compared to others).

Also if I notice a person who is making good quality posts (it happens often actually) by have little rep (for example less then half of the bar, either not being noticed enough or something ) I tend to give more rep to that person in order to motivate the good work (mostly by going trough the posts he made and repping the quality ones) or make a post bringing some attention to the user in every cases that has been repaid by increasingly good posts by that user. This should, I think, be one of the duties a local moderator should also have in order to promote quality but somewhat behind the scenes (many mods/admins actually do that).
                        premE FAQ

Comment

Likes are fanciful and reps are serious.
                          Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
                          12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
                          12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
                          01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
                          01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
                          01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
                          Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Yeah, I've only given 2-3 reps ever. I think this is what CUSP was talking about. I give likes instead of reps even though the post probably deserved a rep.

Comment

I feel like at this point I don't give reps for specific posts or threads, I give reps to a specific person.. kind of a "member of the month" reward because of huge consistency and insanely valuable posts, very informative and lot of work put into typing them. Ofc, I give reps to the person I THINK deserved member of the month or what not. (It would be wrong to compare it to "member of the month" but I hope you guys see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
                                Okay who's next? Anyone seen a little monkey running around?
                                Ho Ho Ho Hi Hi!!!! Haha, I didn't realize you actually knew how to change a avatar pic
                                Be a reflection of what you'd like to see in others.
                                If you want love, give love.
                                If you want honesty, give honesty.
                                If you want respect, give respect.
                                You get in return, what you give.

Comment

Working...
                                X