No announcement yet.

The Manly Arts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you see someone yawn, yawn back, or you will look strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve23 View Post
      When you see someone yawn, yawn back, or you will look strange.
      Only real men yawn
      "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
      Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
      Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
      As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

Learn appropriate times for speaking, and shutting up.
        My mother always told me, "it's better to keep your mouth shut and look stupid, then to open your mouth and prove it."
        There's a lot that can be said for silence - it's golden. Knowing when to let a silence linger and stay comfortable in it gives you time to process and think about what was said, or what you can say next.
        It also takes the pressure off everyone to keep talking.
        People have this idea that silence is always awkward, and you should therefore keep talking. I'd say show people you are comfortable enough with them and in yourself to stfu for a few moments.

Comment

Sometimes there are people at a party, or in a group, who are very quiet. You know that person who tags along, but never says anything and almost seems to blend in with the background? Invite them to speak a couple of times. Even if they still decide to stay quiet, so be it. They would feel validated and it would make you seem like a nice guy.

Comment

Real men are nice guys. Be the first to jump up and help an old lady off a bus.
            Don't get angry at old men - at that age, things are dry and shrivelling, or have unwanted leaking. You'd be pissed off too.
            Forgive other peoples' mistakes, especially if they apologize.
            Don't talk trash about other people behind their back. It always reminds me of drama queens. Real men, IMO, cannot be queens. You being a downer, brings down the general mood.
            And please don't be a meathead. Don't talk about what type of protein you bought from wherever.

Comment

I get my protein from Costco
              Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

Originally posted by BigO View Post
                I get my protein from Costco
                I'm usually wary of the proteins that places like walmart or costco sell. What brand is it?

What I mean is that there is a time and place for everything.
                And also, frequency of recurring conversation topics ... Don't make working out a huge part of conversation. It's lame, imo. It's like "I have no other interests or hobbies, and protein is the only part of nutrition I focus on"
                That's what I get when guys frequently bring it up.

Be a man: know how to conversate.
                Toadstool
                Last edited by Toadstool; 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Dont be this guy lol.

Grandma Crossing Street Sets of Guys Airbag! Awesome revenge - YouTube

Comment

Real men don't tell people their wrong and interject facts, even possibly giving sources, during a casual conversation.

Don't be the guy who always has to show he knows more than someone else. Learn to let things go and try to contribute experiences and insight to conversations; not just regurgitated facts and information.
                    13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Goal
                    10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Goal

B
                    link 2000's Links

Comment

• Look for the "yes" in conversations, not the "no".

Comment

• Actually, the more I think about this, the more I wonder about what it is to be a man. I've posted a lot of things ... but they were all random dating tips I've gotten from 'dating gurus' and didn't touch on the subject of being a man at all.
                        I'm going to google it right now... i'm sure someone's written a book.

Comment

• It's a good question!

Comment

• About being a man

I wasn't really thinking about dating tips when I started the thread. I wanted a place to collect all the thoughts that I was taught, or that I wish I had been taught, about living elegantly as a man.

Being a man is...
                            Making the world a better place while still being true to yourself.
                            Pirate Diplomacy:
                            The art of telling someone to go to hell and having them look forward to the trip.

Remember: If done right, there is no such thing as safe sex.

Comment

• About ordering the special and special ordering

When eating out, make a habit of ordering the chef's special. He, or she, is making it for a reason and because of pride in the dish. You are frequently in line to experience the best that this chef can offer.

Unless you are avoiding a food allergy, don't re-engineer the dishes on the menu when you order. A professional chef designed the meal that way for a reason. Unless you are a professional as well, you are being foolish to second guess his, or her, work product.
                              Pirate Diplomacy:
                              The art of telling someone to go to hell and having them look forward to the trip.

Remember: If done right, there is no such thing as safe sex.

Comment

• Hand shaking. This is definately something a man is expected to know, yet so many get it wrong.

When shaking hands, look the person in the eye, smile, and give a firm straight up and down handshake, with 1 or 2 pumps and let go.

Don't pump their hand or hold on continuously - it's weird
                                Don't try and break the bones in their hands - it's aggressive and dangerous
                                Don't give a limp fish handshake - it makes you seem weak and untrustworthy

Personally, I am not fond of receiving a handshake where I'm forced to have my palm up. It says they're trying to be dominant over me and to me it's a very obvious signal. A lot of guys do this palm down style of handshake because it makes them feel good but they don't realise the implications.

Shaking hands at a straight equal level shows mutual respect.

Conversely though, if you wish the other person to feel in control or made to feel secure, you can offer you hand slightly palm up, which puts their hand in a palm down dominant position.

If someone gives you the dominant handshake and you don't like it, you can clap your other hand on top of their's in a double handed shake, and just keep it short. There's also a manouver you can do where you pull them towards you to put them off balance, and then you twist their hand and can put them in the submissive position. But if they offer their hand to me FULLY palm down and I have to rotate my hand all the way around upside down to give the handshake and risk having my fingers crushed, I'll just shake the back of their damn hand. Screw em, they're the ones stuffing up the deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X